During the first years of the 20th century, the lands around Puerto Natales began to be used for raising sheep and cattle. In 1914 the Frigorífico Bories was inaugurated on the outskirts of Puerto Natales, specifically in the sector called Puerto Bories, in response to growing livestock production and high demand from international markets.
All meat and wool production from the Chilean and Argentine ranches were slaughtered, processed and subsequently shipped from the Puerto Bories frigorifico to England and Europe on merchant ships. The owners and managers of the construction of this important plant was the Tierra del Fuego Exploiting Society, a company with English capital, which in its peak period, became one of the largest and most important companies in the world for the livestock market.
The factory was located 5 kilometers from Puerto Natales therefore a railway line was built in order to transport workers and cargo to and from other plants in Puerto Natales.
With the opening of the factory in 1914, the demand for housing and services for the managers and workers in Puerto Bories increased, which is why a residential villa was built in the surroundings of the Plant. Approximately 14 houses and services were built in the town, including a school, radio operator service, football pitch, tennis court, swimming pool and plaza among other services so that they could live comfortably in the sector.